Against Competition [PDF-5]
By: Marc Fischer
Chicago: Temporary Services, 2014
Marc Fischer wrote "Against Competition" in 2006. The essay takes on the pervasive and corrosive problem of competition that exists and is created between artists by a market-driven art system. The essay also explores productive collaborative models in art, as well as in underground music subcultures whose approaches to generosity and working together might be something for artists to learn from. Fischer's has been a popular text used in classes and downloaded many more times than the initial print run of the magazine the text was first published in.
We have reprinted the essay with illustrations made by our highly talented collaborator Kione Kochi. A new Afterword follows up on some of the stories and examples from the original essay, and looks at the impact of social media on all of these concerns and how things have changed in the nearly 8 years since this text was first written.
Format: PDF for screen, PDF for tablet, PDF for phone, Arhcival PDF, & zipped collection of all previous PDFs
Resolution: 72 DPI, 150 DPI, 150 DPI, 300 DPI
Size: 785 kb, 90 mb, 159 mb, 16 mb, 266 mb
After you purchase this book, you will be given the following download options:
- PDF at 72 DPI, with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation and are for viewing on smart phones, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation and for viewing on tablets, computer screens, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF/X-4:2010 at 300 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation, are archival digital objects, and can be printed at full quality
- ZIP file gathering all the above files
Read about why we offer these formats here.
Review Hide Reviews
A very thoughtful and interesting essay
Against competition is a very thoughtful and interesting essay. I also really loved the illustrations <3 I appreciate the different versions Half Press has available at a very good price.