Chiraq And Its Meaning(s) [PDF-5]
Edited by: Project Nia
Chicago: Temporary Services, 2014
Pages: 20 plus bound-in folded 11X17 poster insert (in printed edition - digitally reproduced here)
From the introduction in the booklet:
This is a publication that captures a particular historical moment in the Windy City. It is part of an ongoing project that has been a few years in the making. About four years ago, I [Mariame Kaba] began to hear Chicago referred to as “Chiraq” by some of the young people with whom I work. The term was coined in 2009 by rapper King Louie who also invented “Drillinois.” Some young people picked it up as shorthand to characterize what they felt was rampant and perhaps even indiscriminate violence in their communities. During a 2010 press conference, the former police superintendent, Jody Weis, felt the need to proclaim: “We are not Chi-raq. We are Chicago.”
Project NIA invited reflections on what "Chiraq" means to Chicagoans. The replies are stunning and tell of a city in dire need of healing, cessation of violence, and radical solutions to the historical inequalities that make Chicago such an unequal and brutal place. We couldn't be more satisfied with this collaboration. The booklet boasts a stunning 11 x 17, fold-out poster with a drawing by artist Mauricio Pineda, lovingly colorized with our Risograph.
After you purchase this book, you will be given the following download options:
- PDF at 72 DPI, with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted with pages separated individually so that they will appear in portrait orientation and are for viewing on smart phones, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF at 150 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation and for viewing on tablets, computer screens, retinal ready devices, and can be printed at home
- PDF/X-4:2010 at 300 DPI, formatted as spreads so that they will appear in landscape orientation, are archival digital objects, and can be printed at full quality
- ZIP file gathering all the above files
Read about why we offer these formats here.
This booklet was made as a part of the Temporary Services initiative Publishing Clearing House.